Friday, April 17, 2009

Oral Presentations


Today I had my group presentation on the Traditions chapter in Kane. For the presentation we were attempting to re-create a traditional feeling of storytelling with native american music in the background. While the guys sitting next to me were telling their stories, I found myself not listening to the words that they were saying but instead I followed what they were reading on their sheets of paper. I realized half way through the presentations that I was depending on the written words rather than the oral presentation itself. After the presentations were over, Sexson asked how everyones presentations were not traditionally oral- that fact being that every single group so far has read from a piece of paper. I agree that this method of telling the story lost some meaning and the connection with the audience, because you are not looking at everyone and becoming engaged with the listeners present.  With that said, I do feel that we portrayed our chapter appropriately, however, if we were to do that same presentation again I would try to memorize my story to create a more traditional act of storytelling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment